It’s time for Know the Novel part two!
1. How’s the writing going overall?
Kinda good and kinda bad? I’m about 25k in right now and I’m pleased with that. But I had at least a week where I basically wrote nothing, so I definitely feel like I could have done better. Also, I’m not super excited about the Bad Guys Close In story beat. It’s important to the story, but not so much easy to write. Can’t we just skip to the finale already?
2. What’s been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far?
I’ve loved getting to revisiting my world! And just writing again…
Also just the interactions between Amber and the other characters have been so fun.
3. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who’s your favorite to write about?
I love them! Amber is very smart, but also sensitive. And Evon is kind of snarky, yet sweet.
4. Has your novel surprised you in any way?
Hmm, kind of. I feel like this happens every time I write, but I always feel like writing is harder than I remember? Don’t get me wrong, it’s not easy. But like, for example, I was thinking it was going to be so hard to incorporate the magic system/conflict into this novel. But as I was writing, it just sort of happened!
5. Have you come across any problem areas?
Yeah. So since this is a fairytale retelling, it makes sense that there should be a romance between the prince and the princess…but I don’t like writing romances and I’m not good at it sooooo…
Also I’ve found that on days when I have time to write, I don’t have motivation and vice versa.
6. What’s been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?
7. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you’d be? Would you take any different actions than they have?
Hopefully, I’d be Amber! She’s my favorite after all. I’d probably make some different decisions than she has, but then again, if I had her upbringing, I’d probably act similarly.
8. Give us the first sentence or paragraph then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets!
I don’t really like the first bit of it. That’ll probably change in draft 2. But here’s the current opening:
They looked just like ordinary children. Children that were far too young to have the responsibility of kingdoms resting upon their shoulders.Destiny of Ashes
He moved closer to me and met my eyes with an intensity I’d never seen before. “So are you.”
I nearly flinched at his proximity, but Margetta had taught me well. I could use this to my advantage. “What did you find?”
Something crossed his eyes. “I’m not sure.”Destiny of Ashes
We descended the steps of the carriage. I always marveled at the thrones carved into the white limestone of the Sudfeuse capital city. Unlike the thrones in my home kingdom, these thrones were not in any castle. Queen Megane had told me that her ancestors designed these thrones to be in a public courtyard so that the royals would seem more accessible to the people. I worried that we were too accessible, especially seeing that the courtyard was filled with angry subjects.
Even with Captain Eamon by my side, I still felt uneasy as I walked to my throne. The southern sun beat down upon my head, burning hotter than I’d ever experienced in Nordfeu. I kept my eyes fixated on the thrones, ignoring the crude gestures subjects flashed in my peripheral vision.
Once I made it to my throne, I took my seat and held my head high. These people may curse at me, but I wasn’t going to lose my dignity. A queen always remained dignified.Destiny of Ashes
9. Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far! (For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!)
I may have started plotting a new project…
And I may want to try and write the first draft before 2023.
10. Take us on a tour of what a normal writing day for this novel looks like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee (or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media (*cough, cough*)? Tell all!
Um…well see it looks like…squeezing writing in when I can? Writing is a priority for me, but it’s probably my lowest priority right now. Ideally, I’ll write throughout the day and maybe sprint a few times. One thing that I always do is play my Destiny of Ashes playlist!
Okay guys, I hope you liked learning a bit about my new project! I’m glad that I’m making progress with this and I can’t wait to write some more of this!
If you’re writing something this month, I’d love to hear about it in the comments!